Kwale International Sugar Company (KISCOL) was established in 2007 having acquired the defunct Ramisi Sugar Co. Ltd.
Kwale District has always been identified as a prospective resource for cane agriculture by entrepreneurs and thus a sugar plant was established as early as 1927 near river Ramisi.
The sugar industry has contributed heavily to the economy of Kwale. Not only to the out growers who supplied sugar cane to the mill, but all round development was observed due to the contribution to the development of different sectors and people by in-direct earning through transportation, marketing etc.
The idea to establish Kwale International Sugar Company was mooted in mid 2006. Initial investigations revealed that the targeted land of 42,000 acres was under various parcel numbers all charged to the Bank of India as the Receiver Managers for the defunct Ramisi Sugar Company.
The process to acquire these parcels took about a year to finalize and Kwale International Sugar was finally allocated 15,000 acres of land to develop a nucleus estate and construct the factory. The remainder of the land was to be allocated to the previous squatters who would then be outgrowers to the new project.
The project has created over 650 jobs and 99% of the workforce is from Msambweni District. Our staff well-being is vital to our operations and thus they are all equipped with relevant protective wear. Staff Briefing sessions are held in conjunction with NSSF, NHIF and Labour officals from the area to enlighten the workers on their rights and other rules of employment.
KISCOL operations have since grown to boast of the following facilities;
• A modern meeting and conference hall
• Consultants and senior management accommodation facilities
• On-site machinery & heavy equipment.
KISCOL Partnerships include;
• Kenya Sugar Research Foundation (KESREF)
• GO SEE KENYA
The Company's CSR activities include:
• Rehabilitation of Mosque and Church
• Assistance in establishing a District Commissioners Office
• Grading of roads to allow easy access to villages
• Grading of sports fields for various educational organizations
• Provision of funds for installation of Electricity at Ramisi School
• Donation of a motor bike to KESREF
Click here to download detailed profile.